Friday, November 16, 2007

Week 3 Reading Assignment

attention: AB(POL SCI) class and MWF 5-6pm (HRM) class

sorry guys! i just found out that i do not have a soft copy of "Richard Gomez at Ang Mito ng Pagkalalaki." Unfortunately, it's also not available on the web. Please secure a copy for next week. Here is Luis Dato's The Spouse and Angela Manalang Gloria's To the man I married. Be sure to have your individual copies on Monday. I will check.

The Spouse
by Luis Dato

Rose in her hand, and moist eyes young with weeping,
She stands upon the threshold of her house,
Fragrant with scent that wakens love from sleeping,
She looks far down to where her husband plows.

Her hair dishevelled in the night of passion,
Her warm limbs humid with the sacred strife,
What may she know but man and woman fashion
Out of the clay of wrath and sorrow—Life?

She holds no joys beyond the day’s tomorrow,
She finds no worlds beyond her love’s embrace;
She looks upon the Form behind the furrow,
Who is her Mind, her Motion, Time and Space.

O somber mystery of eyes unspeaking,
O dark enigma of Life’s love forlorn;
The Sphinx beside the river smiles with seeking
The secret answer since the world was born.


To the Man I Married
by Angela Manalang Gloria

You are my earth and all the earth implies:
The gravity that ballasts me in space,
The air I breathe, the land that stills my cries
For food and shelter against devouring days.
You are the eart whose orbit marks my way
And sets my north and south, my east and west,
You are the final, elemented clay
The driven heart must turn to for its rest.

If in your arms that hold me now so near
I lift my keening thoughts to Helicon
As trees long rooted to the eart uprear
Their quickening leaves and flowers to the sun,
You who are earth, O never doubt that I
Need you no less because I need the sky!

No comments: